Vista en Española  |   Home  |   Counties  |   Contact Us  |   Search
Locating the Non-Custodial Parent

The first step toward securing a child support order is finding the non-custodial parent (NCP), or the custodial parent (CP) if you are the NCP. Verifying an address or employer is a necessary part of the child support court process to collect child support owed. The NCP must be served with specific court documents before a case can go forward in court. Department of Human Resources workers use many sources of information to locate addresses, employers and assets. Some of these resources include:

  • Internal Revenue Service and State Income Tax records
  • Family Assistance and Food Assistance records
  • Social Security Administration
  • Military records
  • Motor vehicle registration and driver license records
  • Department of Corrections records
  • United States Postal Service
  • Current and previous employers
  • Quarterly wage and Unemployment Compensation claims data
  • Law enforcement agencies, parole and probation offices
  • We can also utilize the Federal Parent Locator Service in Washington to aid in location if certain information is known. The more information you give us, the easier it is for us to locate a non-custodial parent. The best information you can give us is the social security number. The following checklist may be helpful when gathering information about the non-custodial parent:

  • Names and nicknames
  • Social Security Number
  • Date and place of birth
  • Last known home address
  • Last known employer
  • Photograph
  • Relatives’ names and addresses
  • Military records
  • Assets (home, business, cars, boats, etc.)